Friday, December 21, 2007

Adventures in Baking

This is for Jen. I know that every now and then I do something that makes her really miss the adventure of living with me, and tonight was 100% for her. Here's how it went...

The original recipe can be found here. I won't copy it because most of you know how to make basic chocolate chess bars.

Now, here's how it really went...

Preheat the oven, get out and grease the pan. Then get organized and compile all ingredients. Where's the cream cheese? I know I have cream cheese. Crap, it's the wrong kind of cream cheese. @#%^@!. Turn off the oven, put eggs back in the fridge, head to the Mart. While I'm out, might as well return that game to Blockbuster and run by Walgreens to get the allergy meds, and I do have a few things I need from the Mart if I'm going anyway...

(An hour and a half later...) Preheat the oven again, and get organized. Pan's already greased, so that's done. Find a bowl, combine the cake mix, egg, butter, and pecans. I've never heard of putting pecans in chess squares, but I'll go with it. A full cup? No way. How about this much, it looks good and I've been chopping them for long enough so that'll do. Wait... the butter's supposed to be melted. Grrr. Dig out the butter, dump into bowl and zap in the microwave, then dump back in the bowl. Stir ingredients, dump in bowl and spread. I think I'll add some real chocolate. Do I have any left? Dig around in the cabinet and come up with 3 squares of the good stuff. Grate a couple of bars over the top of the chocolate layer. OUCH! &%$!! At least I didn't get any fingernail/blood in the chocolate...

Next, dump cream cheese, 2 eggs and 1 cup of confectioners' sugar into the mixer bowl. Beat until blended. What? Gradually add remaining sugar? What remaining sugar? I already put in a cup of sugar... ooohhh. I'm supposed to put in 16oz of sugar. How much did I put in? It was a cup. Well, the bag was originally 32oz, how much was left when I started? Less than half? K. So I'll dump in the rest of this bag and a bit from the new bag. Dump slightly less than half a bag of powdered sugar into mixing bowl already running at medium speed. Wave in front of face to disburse the cloud of sugar that flies all over the kitchen. Open the second bag and much carefully dump in "a bit" more. Do it so carefully that half the sugar lands on the counter instead of in the bowl. Is that enough? Sure. That'll do. Mix. Dump cream cheese mixture over chocolate layer, spread evenly and place in oven.

Now to clean up the kitchen. Hey, what's that bottle of vanilla on the counter for... oh wait. I was supposed to use the vanilla somewhere in there wasn't I... crap.

Friends don't let friends bake without medication.

3 comments:

clstigger said...

Wow I'm impressed you remembered you had the wrong cream cheese. Question is did they turn out ok?

Susan said...

Yum. But VERY chocolaty. The two layers aren't evenly proportioned, the chocolate layer is a lot thicker than the cream cheese layer. Next time I will probably make a bigger cream cheese layer, maybe not double but half again as much. They're also a lot gooier than the regular kind, but I used a chocolate cake mix.

And the sad part was that I had already gone by the Market once to get the eggs and sugar, but I KNEW I had cream cheese, so I didn't buy any then!

Webmaster said...

Yeah, see, this is why I don't cook. Funny post. Glad they turned out good!