Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Awesome Suprises

So I'm driving to BFF Jen's house this morning* to hang with BFF Addyson for the day and I'm thinking to myself, "Did Greg put a single song on this CD that 1) I've heard of and 2) isn't horribly depressing?" Don't judge, I'm at that point where I cry at everything, especially the radio (ok, I've always done that...).

So I'm skipping through the songs looking for one that I can sing along to without bawling when I get to track #113. I literally screamed out loud when I hear a pistol shot, the unmistable opening bars, and these words, which I haven't heard in 20 years:

Forty seven dead beats living in the back street
north east west south all in the same house
sitting in a back room waiting for the big boom
I'm in a bedroom waiting for my baby
I listened to it three times in a row, singing at the top of my lungs and car dancing. It's a miracle I didn't get pulled over. For a song that was the poster child for bad rock in 1989, it's totally awesome in 2009. Come on. Somebody knows this one hit wonder, right? Don't leave me hanging as the sole bad music geek on the block.
Heading for the nineties living in the eighties
screaming in a back room waiting for the big boom...
Note: My apologies to Tater Tot for the early exposure to really bad music. Please, nobody call DHS yet! I did skip over the bad Motley Crue! (Not so much the Def Leppard that came later, but it was good Def Leppard.)
*We're pretending from yesterday, remember?

5 comments:

Lynn D (I forgot my dang pw) said...

She's so mean I don't care,
I love her eyes and her wild wild hair
Dance to the beat we like best
Headed for the 90s
Living in the Wild Wild West!!!

Woo Hoo!!!! Music geek #2 here!! But you knew that already! ha! We are truly cut from the same cloth! I LOVE that song! I'm a sucker for all that old 80s music! But you knew that too!! ;) After all, I have seen Rick Springfield 2 times in this decade!
Love ya!

Nicole Bradshaw said...

I am SO THERE.

Sandi said...

I didn't realize that came out in 89 ... for some reason I thought it was out earlier. Shows what I know. LOL

Susan said...

I only came up with 1989 when I googled it to get the lyrics right. I can't ever tell you what year a song came out.

And let me tell you, if you could only hear some of the wacky things we have in that stack of mix CD's! It's like being caught up in a music blender. Pretty sure today I heard both the New Radicals (with the one hit wonder "Get What You Give," which I still know all the words to) and Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues). And I'm pretty sure Addyson didn't care for the Grease Medley, since that's when she started screaming in the car!

From the Doghouse said...

Didn't like the Grease medley? You need to work on that child!