Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Opinions - I Need Some

I had this all worked out in my head perfectly, until I actually went to put it together...

While looking for inspiration on what to do with Tot's room I contemplated (and then purchased) this shower curtain. I loved all the color and had the brilliant idea that I could cut out some of the squares and make fabric wall hangings. This weekend I got my custom frames made and cut out the squares. I decided to do doubles instead of 4 singles so I would have an easier time actually hanging them on the wall in a grouping. That's when I realized I had made a minor miscalculation. I'll get to that in a minute. Now I have several options and need some options. Keep in mind none of these are "finished," I just draped or tacked up the fabric to the frames to get an idea of how they'd look. Here's group option #1:

This was not my original plan, but when I went to put my original planned grouping together I realized that the flower squares aren't, well, square. One side is half an inch longer than the other. If I had realized this before I had my frames made I could have just had them made a little smaller and it would have probably compensated for it, but I didn't. So, this leaves a stripe of color at the top and bottom of the second frame for option #2:


Because I had to cut into so many other squares to leave enough fabric on the sides to mount them, I only have two more squares left that are useable, and they match up to one of the "correct" size panels exactly. I don't remember which one at the moment, but theoretically I could make two identical panels using those.

Since working on this project today I discovered two more potential options. Thanks to a failed attempt at some shelving I have some materials that would work to make two singles, sorta like this option #3:
I could use the other set of matching flowers to make the two tall panels identical and use two of the four other flower squares to make singles (would have to be one from each of the remaining panels, to leave room for mounting). Hanging the groupings would be something of a pain, since the framing boards in my house aren't even close to square, but I could figure something out.

The final option is that I could mount the shorter panel on a shorter frame, but the size difference would be kinda obvious. I don't know how I would use this to make it work, but it would look something like option #4:

Alright people who are more artistic than I, what are my best choices here?

And yes, that's my partially assembled crib in the background. I ordered the necessary replacement part today to finish putting it together. Hopefully by next week I can get that done and breathe a big sign of relief.

8 comments:

Stacey said...

So help me Buddha, I am not seeing any differences in these pictures. Either you're overthinking this, or I'm the wrong person to ask.

Susan said...

You know my brain doesn't work well enough to explain things these days!

The big difference is in the color combinations and the fact that the one with the dark blue background is a little shorter than the others and would have a stripe on each end (orange on the top, blue on the bottom). That would be solved if I did the singles (option 3).

GrammarGirl said...

I like option #3.

Greg said...

Easy enough, option 1, its the brightest.

In the Dog House said...

Yes.

Susan said...

So far, adding in the assorted emails and phone calls I've received, option 3 is getting most of the love. I have to admit, I do like the dark blue and would hate to not use it for something, and I would still be using bright colors from option 1. Now I just have to find somebody with enough talent to hang things on the wall level and somewhat straight...

tgtank said...

Oooh, my head is spinning from trying to decipher all this!
I like option one myself. I just like the brighter colors.

i'm black betty said...

#3...its the most symmetric. :)