Saturday, March 12, 2011

Another Food Post - Yummy Orzo Pasta! (Updated)

So I tried out another recipe for lunch on Friday and it was quite tasty. No, Greg won't eat it, but Kaycie ate some and I thought it was wonderful. I really love risotto but hate the attention it requires. When I found this recipe for Broccoli, Carrot and Cheese Orzo and saw how little attention it required (and how quickly it cooked) I knew I wanted to try it. Plus it hides the veggies for those with an aversion to textures and such. Yum. I made a few changes - not because I wanted to but because I didn't have everything it called for (scallions), had some veggies on hand that it didn't (bell peppers in the freezer) and can't measure correctly (the cheese). I feel confident the original is yumtastic, but here's what I ended up with (I also halved it, since I was making it for one and half for lunch!)

Carrot, Broccoli & Cheese Orzo (serves 2)

1/4 Cup Bell Peppers
1/2 Small Garlic Clove
1/4 Cup Baby Carrots
1/4 Cup Broccoli Florets
1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter or Olive Oil
1/2 Cup White or Whole Wheat Orzo
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Water
3/4 Cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated

1. Place baby carrots, broccoli and garlic in food processor and pulse to chop. How fine depends on how icky you think veggies are.
2. In a medium boiler, heat butter or olive oil and sauté the chopped vegetables, raw orzo and salt for 4 minutes stirring continuously.
4. Add the water and broth to the pot and cook over medium heat for 10
minutes uncovered, or until the liquid starts to evaporate and the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally
5. Add the Parmesan cheese and stir to combine.

If you don't like Parm (you're insane...) it would work great with any melty cheese. Mozz, Gouda... yummm. Gouda. Probably even cheddar although that seems weird to me. I don't know how well this will heat up, but I'm going to give it a try since I had a little bit left. Actually, I may go give it a try right now...

UPDATE - made this again today with mozz (because I was out of parm) and some of the frozen chicken. To be honest, it wasn't nearly as tasty as the parm. But I'm a big fan of parm so that could be why. And just FYI, it did heat up quite well last time!

No comments: