Monday, March 14, 2011

Heads Up

I'm probably going to be MIA for the next week. Taking a little trip and don't plan to spend a whole lot of time online. I do plan to continue to update my 365 blog because if I get behind uploading pics I'll never catch up. A few thoughts before I go:

My uncle, who is currently serving in Afghanistan, is stateside for the next 3 weeks. Whewsh. I feel a lot better knowing he's in the US, even if he won't be home for another week or so. His wife and kids are headed to Virginia to spend this week with him before he comes home. I was thinking today that if Greg was in the military and was deployed for a year or two I'd totally go loony. Not because I couldn't hold down the fort at home, because I can. I'd have a massive support system. But I'd miss him to the point of insanity. I just like hanging out with him. I like talking to him. I like watching TV with him. I just can't imagine him being gone for that long.

The thing in Japan is so horrible. The first video I saw reminded me of video of Katrina, but so much worse because there was no warning. I fear for what will happen to that country. It's humbling to see how a country that is so advanced can be brought to its knees in a matter of minutes. We think we're indestructible. We aren't.

My trip this week is to visit my BFF Lauren and her family. I'm stoked. We haven't been out there since Kaycie was born, although Lauren's been here twice. The drive is going to be a nightmare, but I really hope Kaycie has fun with Lauren's boys!

There's an awful lot going on among my friends this week. Some good, some not so much, but all big deals. I'm praying it's a good week.

1 comment:

Allison said...

So glad your uncle is safely in the US. I honestly do not know how military families cope. They have my utmost respect and admiration.

The devastation in Japan is simply staggering, especially, as you said, for such an advanced nation and also, considering the fact that they deal with earthquakes on a fairly regular basis. I cannot believe that the entire COUNTRY actually SHIFTED 8 feet! The sheer power of the thing still blows my mind.

I hope you have a FANTASTIC trip and that Kaycie has transformed into a phenomenal traveler since you last made a road trip. I'll be thinking about y'all and praying for safe travel and low gas prices along the way! =)