Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Mash Up of Other Items I Missed This Week

Last Friday was my mom's 65th birthday. I'm glad I got to go on a road trip with her for the occasion. We never get to do that, just the two of us, and we had a BLAST. Trying to use Dad's GPS unit alone provided enough laughs to fill the weekend. I adore my mom. She's so much fun!

Sunday we went to Morton to see Greg's sister, Misty, and her son, Randy, who drove over from Texas on Saturday. We celebrated Randy's birthday and the fact that he's staying in Morton for a while with my inlaws this summer. I hope he has a great time, and that Misty managed to get some relaxation in at home while he's gone! I'm looking forward to seeing him a little more often too. As it is, we've seen him about once a year since we got married.

Yesterday was my BFF Sharonda's birthday. I'm such a slug I didn't even get a card in the mail, even though I thought about buying one every day for an entire week and half before. Sometimes I kinda suck. I'm just saying.

Meanwhile, yesterday was also the anniversary of the day my Uncle Lacy died, I think it was six, possibly seven years ago. I can't miss that one, as it falls on Sharonda's birthday. I really miss my uncle. He used to take me fishing when I lived in Philly. And he adored his kids, one of whom is my BFF Lynn. She and I grew up as best friends, and her parents were always awesome to me. I remember the year we drew names for Christmas (his last Christmas, now that I think about it) he got my name. We had a $10 limit on gifts that year. He bought me a set of pearls - necklace, earrings, and bracelet. He never was one to follow rules! I wore them to my wedding, hoping in some way he would know. He meant a lot to me and I would have given anything for him to know Kaycie. He would have though she was made of nothing but awesome, just like his own grandkids. He's one of those rare people who I knew loved me, not because he was family and had to, but because he liked me and cared about me. I hate that we lost him so soon. And I know that for as much as I miss him, Lynn misses him ten times more.

I told you I had a lot to talk about this week. And I'm sure I'm leaving something out whatever it is, I'm sure it'll wait, because right now I need a nap. Who am I kidding, I always need a nap.

1 comment:

Allison said...

That is SO sweet about the pearls. What a special way to honor him!

You don't suck - you're preggers.

Glad you and your mom had a good time. Road trips are just FUN - especially when your mom is as hip as yours and mine! =)