Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Snorkling

Excuse me while I snorkle to my car.

Just as sure as the weekday clock hits 4:22, the flood will start. Why? Because at 4:30 I hike half a mile to my car. Across State Street, which is kinda like a slip and slide these days.

I know that we are technically still in a drought. I hear about it on the local news every night. Still about 10 inches behind for the year. But seriously. One day without a monsoon. One day. Ok, so two days. Perhaps two days would give my yard a little time to dry enough to be cut. I don't even own a lawn mower anymore. The old one died and since we'd started supporting a kid in the neighborhood's social life (while teaching him the value of manual labor!) I didn't bother buying another one. Now the poor neighbor kid can't get through our muddy yard enough to cut. Heck, he hasn't been able to cut his own yard!

The real problem isn't the grass. It's the fact that I've lost my dog in the jungle of my back yard. Thinking about posting reward posters around the back of the house. When he was a little pup it didn't take much to lose him back there, ankle high grass was taller than he was. He's not such a little pup now. Well, not as big as he likes to think he is, but a good 25 pounds! Yet the grass has overtaken him. He has to hop through the yard. It's too thick to walk. And boy does he love to wallow in my flower bed, which normally produces a dusty dog. Nope. Now it produces one caked in mud.

I'm thinking of building an ark. I wonder if our new city ordinances would allow it. Probably not.

No comments: