Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Pain of it All

I woke up hurting this morning. I must have slept crooked because my neck hurt so bad I couldn't move it.

Here's where I should stop and point out that this isn't a post whining and complaining about how much I'm hurting. Just the opposite. I spent much of the morning curled up with my heat sock and then soaking in a very warm bathtub and by 1pm was feeling much better. You see, the muscles in your neck and even some in your face run all the way down across your shoulders and some down parts of the back. Sometimes the pain in the neck and face is actually caused by a tight muscle or spasm further down. Anyway, I'm still hurting right below both ears a good bit, but can move around and even sacrificed a couple of pieces of meat to the grill, which are cooking as I type.

This is more a reminder to myself to be grateful. Up until about a year ago I had this kind of severe pain across my back and shoulders pretty much every day. I went through 12 doctors in 5 years trying to deal with varying levels of pain. It started out being once every few weeks, with a sharp stabbing pain near one of my ears. After four years of that one of the 11th doc sent me to physical therapy, which solved the sharp shooting pain behind my ear. But afterwards I started having dull pulsing pains in my back and shoulder. There was only so much they could do for that. Ironicaly, it drastically reduced within a couple of month of changing jobs. Hmmm. I still hurt from time to time but nothing like I used to. I'd kind of forgotten how bad it used to be, until this morning when I couldn't move. Now I'm sitting outside feeling like I should be grateful for this little reminder. And now the steaks are done, so I'm going to go be grateful insde, with a knife and fork.

(I am a little sad because Greg and I were planning to visit a new church this morning, and I was up in plenty of time despite forgetting to change the clocks. I just couldn't move, thus we didn't make it.)

6 comments:

Supermom said...

A different church? You always sounded like you like your church.

Hope you feel better today...

Susan said...

We do. We have. Well... Mostly. In part.

Ironically, when we were doing our pre-marital counseling with our former minister (the one we adored) he talked to us a bit about the fact that we might want to consider finding a new church as a couple, rather than trying to fit one of us into the other's enviroment. At the time Greg really didn't want to do that because he liked Ross so much, but now that Ross is gone we've found that there isn't much left there that we particpate in together. I used to be connected through my single's group, but I don't think it even exists anymore. The Bible study class I used to take hasn't had enough interest to make for the past 2 years and there have been several little things over the past year that have left me feeling less and less like part of the community. I think we'd both benefit from something new, it's just been very hard to make the effort to change.

Supermom said...

Ah! Thanks for the insight. Those are perfectly understandable reasons...

Webmaster said...

Do you lift weights? A good upper-body weights routine could help. Sounds like horrible muscle tension.

From the Doghouse said...

I hope you get to feeling better. I'm glad you have a heat sock; they're awesome!

Susan said...

I am feeling much better today. The moist heat, a couple of well-timed back rubs, and a little shovel therapy in the back yard flower bed seemed to help a lot.

And yes, it used to horrible muscle tension/spasms, but most of that's gone now. This was just a neck-crick on a sugar high or something.