Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Shameless Plug



See the guy in that picture? That's my dad. Nine months before this picture was taken doctors discovered a greater than 90% blockage in one of his arteries. His doctor was surprised that he had not already died from a massive heart attack, following in the footsteps of my grandfather who lost his fight with heart disease nearly 15 years ago.

Two years later Dad's doctor says he has the heart function of an 18 year old. Without ongoing research like that supported by the American Heart Association we would not have the procedures, medications, and lifestyle information that saved my dad's life. He would not have survived to walk me down aisle and give me away. Do I support the American Heart Association? You bet I do. And now I'm asking you to help.

Coronary heart disease is the single leading cause of death in America. More than cancer. More than any any other illness. And Mississippi is leading the country in deaths due to heart disease. But with continued research and education we can change the future and save lives.

On October 26 I will be walking in the AHA START! Heart Walk as a member of the University Heart Team. You can support me by making a donation to the American Heart Association through my walk website by clicking here or on the Heart Walk element on my sidebar. I also accept pledges, cash, checks, spare change, gift certificates, coupons, dog treats... You get the picture. Just let me know and I'll email you my mailing address or a pledge form. Help continue to write success stories like Dad's by supporting the life saving efforts of the American Heart Association.

And if you get the chance, check out the American Heart Association website. It has some awesome tools and educational content to help us all avoid being one of these stories ourselves. Then head over to Get Fit Mississippi. Then make an appointment with a cardiologist for heart risk assessment. You owe it to your families.

Disclaimers:
1. Yes, I work for cardiologists, I just think they could stand to have a little less job security!

2. It occurs to me that several of you have recently been dealing with cancer-related issues. I don't want anybody to think I'm dismissing that nightmare, you all know my family's been there, done that, more than once. I throw as much support behind Relay for Life as do the Heart Walk, but this is AHA's turn. ACS can have theirs in the Spring.

8 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

Good luck and keep us posted!

mayberry said...

Great cause and I'm behind you girl! I'll be donating just as soon as I can.

Webmaster said...

Look how beautiful you are! Good story about your Dad ... The Heart Association is a fantastic organization that I am proud to partner with on GetFit (thanks for the plug, by the way).

I'll be glad to support you on this ... I don't use paper or plastic though. Do you take cash?

The Topiary Cow said...

Very nice picture. Good luck.

Moo!

Susan said...

Heck yeah I'll take cash! You know that's my favorite form of payment.

Webmaster said...

I figured you would, but wanted to check. :)

We need another blogger lunch ... that way I can deliver the donation in person.

Webmaster said...

I mean, I can deliver it in person anyway, but a blogger lunch would be nice.

It's been a long day.

Susan said...

As I told my mom - cash, check, savings bonds, gallons of gas...

I knew what you meant - any excuse for blogger lunch! Maybe we can get that organized in the next two months!