Thursday, August 21, 2008

What Have I Done???

I don't think I've ever introduced you all to my lovely, ancient, worn out phone:



It's seen better days. After my husband had to go through the torture of trying to make a couple of calls on it the other day (some of the buttons don't exactly work right) I finally decided to suck it up and get a new phone. SIGH. I hate buying new phones, which is probably stating the obvious. I've actually never paid for a new phone, I've always either used somebody else's hand-me-down or gotten the cheapest "free" phone they had, griping because I absolutely hate signing those two year contracts. Yes, I've been with the same company for over 8 years, but that's not the point. I have this fear they'll end up getting bought out by one of the companies I hate (oh wait, Cingular doesn't exist anymore) and then I'm stuck. Regardless, I put on my big girl panties and did it. But I didn't just go get the cheap free phone this time. I was thiiiiis close. But then...


You see, I've learned to start checking the available plans every now and then because they change them and don't tell you, so there may be a better one available that I don't know about. The one that caught my eye was the new Blackberry plan, which was a whopping $5 a month more than I'd been paying for my basic service with voicemail and text. What? Five bucks? Now, I've always made fun of people with Blackberries because, to be honest, I wouldn't want people from work having that much access to me. But the phone was only $99, and I wouldn't have to sync it to my work account... I thought, "Maybe I should just bite the bullet and jump into the new century?" So I did. Poof. Just like that. Now I'm waiting for the buyer's remorse to set it.

I'm already a little irritated because they weren't able to activate my data service last night. The Blackberry activation service thing was down. They called me once this morning to try to fix it, but I wasn't in my office and they couldn't do it while I was on my phone, so they're supposed to call me back in a bit. If they can actually get me online, this may be my least productive day at work ever.

6 comments:

mayberry said...

Niiiice! Hubby's been trying to get me to get a Blackberry. I don't think I could work it.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud...

Susan said...

Finally got the internet service connected. Had to call since the guy never called me back. I now have access to the weather at all times, no matter where I am. Awesome. Still have to set up my email and stuff, but that will be a good afternoon project!

Mayberry, it's not as hard to operate as you'd think. The buttons are tiny and I'm going to have to relearn how to type with the QWERTY keypad, but other than that it's easier than I expected.

And Lauren, I knew you would be!

Stacey said...

Ooohhhhhh, pretty phone. PRETTY phone. So pretty.

Anonymous said...

And it does pretty things! Look, I can post from it!

Webmaster said...

Your old phone looks just like hubby's work-issue cell phone. LOL