Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Survival

I didn't make it to the grocery store over the weekend, to put it mildly. I am now suriving out of my freezer, which thankfully is stocked enough to get us through the week. I scooped up a few excellent meat deals right around the 4th of July and stuck them in the freezer, and now they're coming in handy. I need another grill-induced holiday so I can restock. I found the actual evening of the holiday itself to be the best time, as the awesome meat that didn't find it's way to somebody's grill found it's way to the "reduced for quick sale" bin.

As a result, last night I cooked up the two biggest pork chops I've ever seen in my life. They were easily 1 1/2 inches thick, and one of them was nearly the size of a nice ribeye. Unfortunately I also haven't had time to buy a new gas canister for the grill so I ended up kicking them in the oven with a braise that I threw together with the few things left in my cabinets. Not the royal treatment they deserved, but decent enough and there were leftovers for lunch. For tonight I've pulled out some nice chicken quarters for BBQ. Thursday I can whip out the pasta sauce leftovers I froze a few weeks ago, and Friday is ballpark food with Jen, Rob and Figment. Safe!

With our survival planned, I turn to my pup. Greg and I both get points for not killing him last night. Tonight, if he so much as thinks about scratching the door, howling, or repeatedly running up and down the hallway like a herd of rabbid elephants at 2am, I cannot promise his luck will hold out.

3 comments:

mayberry said...

Labor Day is just around the corner - bet you'll be able to restock the freezer then!

Wish you could give my husband lessons on surviving on what you have on hand. He is the world's WORST about picking up things at the grocery store that we don't need. And HE makes a list!

Susan said...

I will admit that I'm really bad about picking things up while grocery shopping. I only broke myself of it when I started taking cash. If I go with a debit card, I'll buy everything I see. When I take cash, I take a calculator and if I want something extra, I usually have to put something else back to get it!

Webmaster said...

I wish my family would eat leftovers (or anything I cook for that matter). I get tired of sandwiches and Suddenly Salad.