Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Deadliest Ninja Chimp

Being sick sometimes comes with the risk of addiction. For some people it's pain meds, for some people it's things like cough syrup and nasal spray. For me it's something far, far worse. I'm addicted to the Deadliest Ninja Chimp.

I admit that I'm the one who has said that I can live without pay television service. I didn't miss it when we ditched our cable, and was ambivalent to getting DirecTV when Greg decided he needed it. That's all well and good, until we spend a full week at home sick. It started with the 3 full seasons of Deadliest Catch that we had on the DVR. I've loved this show from the first season and had seen most of them before, but they had a marathon on a few weekends ago and we went ahead and recorded them all. We've now watched them all. Including all of the "Best of" shows.

But most addicts end up desensitized to their drug of choice after a while, needing something more to keep them going. Like Women of Ninja Warrior on the G4 channel. No, I didn't make that up. And I've seen two entire years' of challenges in the past week.

But even ninja warriors are only on for a half hour at a time. Even when the schedule is expanded to include the Unbeatable Banzuke, there's still a jonesing for more. After a while you find yourself needing to Escape to Chimp Island on Animal Planet.

Seriously. I have to go back to work. The TV is killing me.

6 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

"Mythbusters" and "Dirty Jobs" have a tendency to suck me in.

mayberry said...

After all the stress you've been under lately, you deserve to totally kill brain cells with endless television viewing.

Susan said...

We LOVE Mythbusters. That's on the DVR, too, we just haven't gotten to it yet. We did start "Blue Planet" last night!

And I don't mind killing off some brain cells while I'm sick, but I get worried when we actually set the recorder for Women of Ninja Warrior...

Webmaster said...

I feel your pain, sister. "The Office" and "Law & Order" suck my life away in the evenings. It reminds me on a daily basis why I hate TV so much!

Supermom said...

Women of Ninja Warrior? Where do I sign up!?

Susan said...

Japan.
www.g4tv.com/ninjawarrior
The women's event is a special they do every year, but women compete in the men's event, too.

I kept asking Greg, "Why don't we do this here??" But from the website it looks like they are doing an American one! They had a couple of Americans participating in Japan, but none of them made it to the final stage to become a true Ninja Warrior. I think you could do it. You should sign up.