Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The List

It's time to start The List again.

You know, The List of things we want to do/buy once we get the house paid off. We had a List last year for after we paid off the last of the non-mortgage debt and it turned out to be a pretty good motivator during that last push. It had everything on it from a garden hose and food chopper to a new A/C unit for the house. This time we've kinda had a general List started in our heads, but haven't started writing it down yet. Now we're looking at hopefully being done by the end of July, so I think it's time to officially start The List.

The List

1. Shower curtain hooks
2. Air purifier
3. Disney Trip (December or February)
4. Beach trip (anniversary)
5. Vacuum cleaner
6. Washing machine/maybe a dryer
7. Large skillet with lid

The List is something of a living creature, it'll grow and change over time. And yes, I know it's silly to have something on there like shower curtain hooks, but to be honest, those are the little things that remind me that there's a line between necessity and luxury. I don't have to have them. We have enough to hold up the curtain. Barely. And every time I take a shower I'm just a little more motivated. The big ticket items aren't as real to me. They aren't things I could go out and buy today if I wanted to anyway. It's the little things that remind me that I'm sacrificing now so I can appreciate those things that much more later.

That's the big lesson I've taken away from the work we've done to pay off all of our debt. Three years ago I wouldn't think twice about spending smaller amounts of money, even $20 or $30. Today I realize that there are things I need and things I want, and there isn't a thing I want that I can't wait a few weeks or months for. And very few things I need. I hope I don't lose that lesson once we're done!

5 comments:

mayberry said...

I admire y'all's determination more than you know.

Webmaster said...

Good for you for sticking to it! When you get the house paid off, you go out and buy yourself the nicest shower curtain hooks you can find. :)

Susan said...

Definitely. I'm debating between the rubber ducky ones and the fishy ones, which would match my seashell shower curtain. I haven't looked at Target yet, I'm sure they have a fantastic selection... Probably need to check Fred's, too.

From the Doghouse said...

So, when can you take over our finances?

Susan said...

That part's easy. Quit spending money.

Yeah, ok, not so easy. We do have the advantage of not having kids yet!