Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Little Pre-Christmas Sanity Check

Yes, I said I wasn't going to be posting much more this week, but this ten minutes of peace were brought to you by a new wooden train set that my little curly headed kid thinks is awesome.

What? I was supposed to hoard all new toys until Christmas???

Nah. To be honest, Kaycie is only getting a couple of things from us this year, and one bigger things (a play kitchen) from Santa. But she'll get plenty from grandparents and other assorted family members. She'll get bombarded with toys over a 2-3 day period and will probably be too overwhelmed to figure out what to play with as it is.

Today we picked up this little inexpensive off brand wooden train track set because she's really digging the trains around our house right now (and I had a $5 coupon). I asked Greg if he thought we should save it for Christmas or go ahead and get it for her. His response? "Is she going to have a shortage of toys at Christmas?"

Nope.

But I may have a shortage of sanity in the meantime.

Poof. That's when the brilliant plan hit. Give her the train today and use it as a tool to get some things done over the next two weeks! I can make fudge without help because she's choo-chooing. I can blog because she's choo-chooing. I might can sort out some baby stuff and wash some new baby clothes because she's choo-chooing. I can sit and breathe without being used as a Mama-gym for a few minutes... because she's choo-chooing. That's worth way more than what we paid for the train. And it'll get more use in the next two weeks than it would after Christmas when it's competing with a dozen other shiny new things.

Meanwhile, I'm having some seriously freaky flashbacks to the days when my godson Edwin was about her age and totally Thomas the Tank Engine obsessed. He played with a very similar set (only with the very specific Thomas character trains!) for YEARS. I wonder if this is a point in his favor as to which of the Emmer boys she'll end up marrying. Ian has been in the lead for a long time...

1 comment:

Allison said...

Don't you love it when they find something that preoccupies them like that? It's like, "Whoa! What's this? Free time?"