Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Voter Day Quiz

Without looking it up, who can name their elected county surveyor? For bonus points, who can tell me WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP, which political party their county surveyor represents?

I know I say this every Voter Day, but why do we have to elect these positions? And this time I'm adding the "Who cares what party they're in???" line. This applies to many, many local elected offices. Like coroner. Our county coroner is a Democrat. I know this because she's on the ballot today and since I'm on a soap box I paid attention. How would she perform her job any differently if she were a Republican? Or, for that matter, a Libertarian or a member of the Green Party? These are positions where, if the person is doing their job correctly, political party affiliation should be irrelevant and should not in any way influence their duties.

For the record, I have it on good faith that our county coroner is excellent, and even sent out letters of sympathy to a friend's family after the death of her grandparents.

Finally, in all seriousness, can somebody explain the purpose of the constable? What exactly does the constable do that the sherriff's office can't? I was asked that question yesterday and although I've known constables my whole life, I couldn't explain their purpose!

5 comments:

Supermom said...

A constable... isn't that every letter except the vowels and sometimes "Y"?

Oh wait..sorry, my bad.

Susan said...

Ohhh. Right. I figured it was something like that. You'd think with my English degree I'd pick up on that. It's the USM education... HA!

From the Doghouse said...

I ran for sergeant at arms once in elementary school. Still don't know exactly what the duties entailed, but I liked the name.

Obviously, I didn't win.

Susan said...

You have to wonder if it's a good idea to have any student "at arms" in an elementary school these days.

Supermom said...

don't go dogging a USM education. :)