Thursday, August 23, 2007

Birthday Goodness, Part 2

And now for the moment we've all waited for...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CASPER!



Yes, my dear, insane, spoiled, loveable pup is 5 years old today. In dog years, he's older than me. We're having a surprise party for him tonight. He'll get H-A-M (yes, we have to spell that one around him) and cheese, and of course several new annoying squeakers to tear up. I love watching him unwrap gifts. He's very good at it, he'll take the paper off very carefully, then tear it to shreds, before investigating the actual gift.

And yes, my dog is spoiled. He has his own swing in the back yard and his own couch in the living room. He failed to advance in obedience class twice, the second time because he refused to NOT face his "audience" while sitting still for 5 minutes. He'd sit. He just wanted to do it his way. He is very smart, learns all kinds of things, but only follows commands if he really wants to. Unless there's treats involved. Then he'll dance a jig. Literally. We taught him to dance for cheese.

With all the disturbing news about dog fighting in the news lately, I'm even more grateful that we have Casper. He could have been one of those dogs. He was a rescue, and has a dominate/aggressive personality. But from the time he was barely a handful of pup, looking more like a rat with giant ears, Jen and I worked with him and gave him all kinds of affection. It paid off. He's still a bit aggressive at times, but I notice it most when he's being protective of me. Or when there's a cat in the house. But anybody who will throw a squeaker is his best friend. He's a very loyal, loving dog who will come get me off the Forbiden Couch and take me over to his couch just so he can sit in my lap and snuggle. And he's even more insistent about it when I'm sick or upset. If anybody ever tried to hurt him, they'd meet my wrath. And I'm pretty sure if anybody tried to mess with me, they'd meet his. Just ask Greg. He accidentally hit me with the Wii remote once and Casper went after him. Ooops.

Anyway, happy birthday Casper. You'll always be my favorite pup, even if you do love Greg more.

4 comments:

clstigger said...

I really must admit he turned out to be one cute pup.

Stacey said...

Awww, happy birfday puppers!!!

Supermom said...

Happy birthday says casey

Casper said...

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! I got great loot, and roast beef with cheese!