Thursday, October 4, 2007

Kudos

Tonight I had the pleasure of attending a fundraising banquet for an awesome organization. Ok, so I wasn't so much invited as I invited myself. I've got connections, so I basically told them we were coming and to find us a place at a table. That's not the point. I like being charitable, and this was one of the first opportunities I've had to write a check bigger than $25 to a non-profit outside of church. I've always given a little for walks and fundraisers at work, but have never had the chance to really support an organization financially, mostly because I didn't have the resources. Having said that, I'm pretty picky about where I give donations and I like to know how they use the money. I'd be very comfortable supporting programs like Camp Rainbow (for kids who have/had cancer, supported through American Cancer Society) and the McLean Fletcher Center (grief support center for children, supported by Hospice Ministries) because my friend Jennifer has been intimately involved with both and I know exactly what they do.

Tonight's fundraiser was for the Center for Pregnancy Choices in Vicksburg. Yes, there's a CPC in Jackson, but I haven't been BFF with their Executive Director since I was 12, so I don't know much about them. Sharonda became director of the Vicksburg CPC this past January and I've been blown away learning about all the things they do. Yes, they have the usual crisis pregnancy counseling services and offer free pregnancy testing, but they also have parenting classes, where clients can earn "Mommy Dollars" to buy things at their Baby Boutique, everything from clothes to car seats and cribs (for which they always need donations of new/gently used items, if anybody is tossing out baby stuff!). They teach clients how to manage life, not just pregnancy. They are a ministry, and very much pro-life, but not judgemental about people who feel otherwise. They do abortion alternatives counseling, as well as post-abortive counseling for grieving women and families, in a safe and confidential environment. They've started a new outreach program called Sexual Integrity, which focuses on abstinence as a matter of self respect. It's a program they offer for schools, church groups, any group that will listen to it. In short, it's an awesome organization.

I was very glad I crashed the party tonight. In addition to the fact that I'm always entertained watching Sharonda work (she rocks), it was a pretty meaningful evening for me.

Additional kudos go out to my dear husband, who not only went with me, but suggested I make the check out for more than originally planned. He rocks, too.

3 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

"Ok, so I wasn't so much invited as I invited myself."

Funny, that's how Cow goes most places too!

Glad you had a good evening-sounds like a moo-worthy cause.

Moo!

Stacey said...

That's pretty much awesome. There's a CPC in Pearl too, and I dumped like a thousand pounds of baby stuff on them a few months ago. I LOVE what they're doing... they do sooooooo much more for women in crisis pregnancy situations than blowhard politicians and lobbying pro-lifers do.

Susan said...

As Sharonda said in her speech last night, when you look up "abortion" you get two contacts - the CPC and the abortion clinic in Jackson. Which one do you want your daughter/grandaughter/sister/niece/etc. calling?

I just got a message from her, by the way, and the preliminary count suggest they DOUBLED their donations over last year's dinner. AWESOME!