Friday, October 5, 2007

WHAT??

I read a lot of personal finance blogs. I can't help it. I may have an English degree, but I have a financial background. Blame my dad. He's always been very money aware and I picked it up over the years. Working for the Trust Dept of a bank for 8 years just compounded the interest (Ha! I made a pun!). I read a lot about personal finance and I live by the Dave Ramsey code. My faith tends to be ingrained in every aspect of my life, including my views on finance, so I'm a bit more fanatical about it than most. I do, however accept the fact that not everybody agrees with my personal views on personal finance (as Dave would say, that's why it's PERSONAL finance!) and the majority of the blogs I read make suggestions that I don't agree with, particularly regarding credit, from time to time. That's fine. I'm intelligent enough to process my own opinions and discard the information that I don't think has merit for my situation. I still read them because a lot of the other information is either useful or thought provoking.

I make that disclaimer so you'll understand that I'm not trying to pass judgement or ridicule anybody. Everybody has a different situation and what works for me may not work anywhere else. However, I almost croaked when I read one post today. A guy was talking about his personal finance goals, one of which was to increase his credit card cash back reward thing on one of his cards from about $200 last year to $500 this year. Huh?

He went on to say that so far he had over $200 in cash back, compared to about $130 this time last year. This was because his charges were up from about $11,000 last year to $18,000 this year. WHAT??? He even pointed out a couple of large luxury purchases he charged to make up some of that increase.

Ok, basic math. You spend an additional $7,000, you get an additional $100 refunded to you for using a credit card. Which means that $100 just cost you $6,900, plus interest.

I realize there's the "but he would have spent that money anyway, at least he's getting something back" arguement. But that doesn't take into consideration the cost of the risk of using the credit card. Or that the $100 won't pay one month's interest on those purchases. And if you've got the money to pay it off every month, why bother using it at all? Is it really worth $100 over 10 months? We make more than that off our money market savings account.

I'm not saying that the credit card bonus stuff is evil. Well, it is evil, but that's not my point here. My point is that I can't believe our society has gotten to a point where people actually set financial goals to buy more large luxury items on credit so they can get a tiny amount of that money back. It just doesn't make sense. That's not a financial goal, that's closer to a financial disaster waiting to happen. No wonder we keep having problems like the current sub-prime mortgage crisis. You just can't make money by spending more money on "stuff!"

And for the record, every time I see the Chase Freedom credit card commercials I want to throw something through the TV.

12 comments:

Stacey said...

It IS fairly intelligent to do that IF you pay your credit card off every month. The cash back rewards are actually rewards then, instead of... well, discounts.

The love of credit cards is the root of all evil...

Susan said...

It's not the math, it's the mindset. There are much better ways to get $500 than by spending $10,000. This was actually part of his long term earnings goals. When our culture decided to use spending as a means for earning, we doomed ourselves. Besides, it creates a justification for overspending that can just steamroll. Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!

Supermom said...

Spending more JUST to up your cash back is absolutely ridiculous.

But... as an avid user of my Discover card, I see no reason why not to take advantage of the cash back.

In the past 12 months I have recieved $197.57 cash back. I've paid zero in interest. I have not paid a cent in interest to credit card companies since we paid them off as newlyweds 15 years ago.

I use my Discover for EVERYTHING. Gas, groceries, tires, vacations, clothing,.. everything that takes Discover.

It is safer to carry than cash. Easier to deal with than checks. And I have a built-in mechanism for tracking expense categories, etc. (I would have to do so manually if I paid in cash or check.

To me it just makes sense and works. We have more than ample savings to pay off the credit card should any month the job were lost.

It would be different if I had that lettuce-head's mentality to spend more to up the reward. But using a card on every day expenses you would incur any way, with a guarantee it will be paid off and not incur interest... I don't see the problem.

Besides, I'm fairly a tight wad so over spending is NOT a problem. I'm a coupon clipper and clearance rack shopper.

Greg said...

Put down the shoe, that TV cost a lot of money!!!

Susan said...

Ah. Discover Card. That was my very first ever credit card... I'm one of those people that will spend way more with the card than I do with cash, so now I carry cash. Again, it's a personal thing, and I know my weakness. I just can't fathom sitting down to do my plan for the year and thinking, "Ok, how much can I charge to increase my cash back to $500?" I have sat down and thought, "What can I sell to come up with $500."

Several of the financial blogs I read take a similar stance, just not with as much emphasis on the cash back thing. Most of them talk about it as passive income, the fluff money that comes off of the mechanics of their overall plan. It wouldn't work for me, but I never gave it much thought as far as their plans go. This is the only one I've ever seen who actually considers it an active part of their financial growth.

Susan said...

Like I'd throw a shoe at it. You know how much I like shoes!

Greg said...

I only have one comment to super mom and I really should find the reference material behind this, but I'm too lazy at the moment.

There have been a ton of studies on the effect of using credit cards instead of cash, even if you pay the balance off every month, and you might be the exception to this rule. People tend to spend somewhere between 7-13% more when using credit cards instead of cash. I can testify to this after I met my wonderful wife. She is the one that got me off the credit card bandwagon. It is much different handing a cashier green pieces of paper instead of that black plastic. It really does make you think twice about what you are buying.

Like I said, you might be the exception, but I know I defenitely wasn't. Its much easier to throw that extra CD in the buggy when you are swiping the plastic than it is when you have to think about how much Wal-Mart money you have in your wallet based on this months budget.

Supermom said...

Good point, but like I said...
I am a miser; a tight wad...
I eat frozen 99 cent Michelana dinner at my desk as oppose to going out every day like some co-workers and my husband. If Cokes aren't on sale (I mean REALLY on sale, then it's Sam's Choice).

And I don't buy CDs. :-)

But I would say in 99% of all cases, your points are valid. I just happen to be a tight wad that uses Discover since I can't see any overwhelming argument not to.

Supermom said...

And I would like to add my humble opinion was given in the highest respect of the fact you two are so close to having your mortgage paid off so early in your marriage.

You are obviously doing lots right!!

mayberry said...

AMEN to everybody.

Greg said...

Super Mom: Its all her fault...LOL Don't get me wrong, I wanted the same thing, but she is the only that keeps me motivated and working towards the goal.

AM said...

temptation of credit cards...that's enough to do me in....They're an easy out! I say my life has been better off without them!

I think there should be a law against offering them, esp. in so much abundance, to college poor college students...