Thursday, October 4, 2007

Random Things on a Weird Day

A couple of random things as I wrap up another hectic day:

First...

(Picture the setting - I'm scrambling around setting up a last minute lunch presentation involving mostly men, with at least 2 being "guests.")

While not perfect, or even preferred, regular desktop tape can be useful in repairing a busted seam in the rear of your pants. Granted, it's not entirely comfortable, but at least only half of my 7,000 coworkers can now describe my undies.

I also want to point how how totally ashamed I am, as a Southern Woman, not to have a safety pin anywhere in my immediate possession. It's unforgivable. I stopped by my mother-in-law's office earlier because I know she has one - she always has that kind of stuff! - but she wasn't there. I hereby promise to never leave home without a safety pin again. Oh the shame.

Second...

I was in the elevator with a guy earlier and he gave me the standard, "How's your day?" greeting. Frankly, I'm a little tired of listening to myself whine, so I very purposefully responded with an energetic, "It's been great!" He gave me a double take and started laughing. He said something about how you never hear people say that. We then went on with smalltalk about the fair for the remainder of our elevator journey, and parted with a joint, "Have a great day!"

I have no idea who this man was. He wasn't wearing a badge so I assume he's a patient or guest. Whoever he was, he made me think. We may not have an effect on every person we see every day, but why shouldn't we? It made me concious of my physical presence as I walked across campus. I made a point to look at the people I passed, and to smile at them, maybe even nod in acknowledgement that they were there. Every single person smiled back at me. One even stopped me at that point to ask for directions. If I'd had my head down or looked as grumpy as I've felt today, chances are I wouldn't have been very approachable. Instead I helped make somebody's day a little better, and made half a dozen others smile for no real reason. And you know what's crazy, by the time I got back to my desk, my grumpies were gone and I was feeling pretty darn good for no real reason.

Then it occurred to me that they could have been smiling because my tape had come off and my undies were showing again. You just never know these days.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I hope you were wearing your pretty ones, instead of the ones that are brown and paisley and ugly that you only wear on laundry day.

Wait, those are mine. Nevermind.

Susan said...

Worse. Much much worse. It was the "these pants are kinda snug so lets see if we can avoid a panty line by wearing a thong" day... Yeah, I know, TMI.

Did I mention it was probably a good 2 hours from the time when I figure it happened until my dear husband's coworker noticed it and had him bring it to my attention? That would include a lot of running around my office, a trip to McD's to grab lunch, and a trip to Greg's office.