Friday, April 18, 2008

Aching Heart

Sometimes I think my world is in chaos, especially the past couple of weeks. Then today I realize that it's nowhere close.

One of Dad's best friends became a father for the first time this week. I'm still not clear as to whether Baby A was born Wednesday or Thursday, but that doesn't really matter. My dad called this morning to tell me that Baby A was on her way from Meridian to UMC via helicopter for a heart cath and possibly a stent. From what I understand, they think the arteries in her heart are criss-crossed. I won't even pretend to understand what that means exactly, but there is talk of possibly having to send her to Arkansas for further surgery. They have a special pediatric program for some of the more complex cardiac procedures.

Brad, the new dad, made it here before Baby A did. He drove up right before the helicopter landed. Did I mention that he and Dad became good friends because they race together on the weekend and build race cars together the rest of the week? Anyway, he was calm and holding up well, but I'm not sure how long that will last. We got to the NICU in time to see them take her around after getting her off the helicopter. The grandparents and other family/friends were on their way. Except Baby A's mom, who had a C-section after TWENTY SEVEN hours of labor and is still in the hospital in Meridian.

So, if any of you have a little extra room on the prayer list this weekend, please send one up for Baby A and her family. I cannot imagine having a newborn infant undergoing invasive cardiac procedures and being two hours away in a different hospital, so maybe a special prayer for the new mom. Can their be anything more frightening?

And as a side note, I've always been in awe of our hospital helicopter. Every time I see it flying I stop and stare, watching it take off and land and wondering whose life they are saving today. It's a magnificent thing to watch. Seeing it land today was a whole new experience, knowing who the passenger was. Thank you, pilot and medical crew, for bringing Baby A here safely.

4 comments:

mayberry said...

Prayers, prayers and more prayers for this new family.

Stacey said...

Good GRAVY, that's terrifying. How awful to be Baby's mom right now...

The Topiary Cow said...

Poor little thing. Will be hoping for a good result from surgery.

Moo!

Susan said...

Looks like Mom will get discharged from Meridian tomorrow and should be able to head to Jackson. I'd be a wreck. Mom said they'd divided up the family so there are plenty in both towns with each parent, which is also good news!