Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sentimentality

Why is it so hard for me to get rid of movies on VHS, which I have on DVD, when I no longer own a VHS player?

Perhaps it's because all the VHS tapes I have left are my Disney movies.

Perhaps it's because Beauty and he Beast was the first movie I ever bought. In any format. Ever. And I watched it at least six hundred times. Before I graduated high school. Sigh.

Perhaps it's because it's like getting rid of something that I used to think we be great to have if I ever had kids. That was before we knew what DVD's were.

For the record, I'm keeping the ones I don't have on DVD. I don't care if I have a VHS player or not. At some point I'm sure I'll replace them, but until I do, Fantasia is staying right there in it's drawer, in between to Fantasia 2000 and Lion King 2: Simba's Pride. Next to Snow White. I'm just saying. I can only give up so much at once.

9 comments:

Stacey said...

I still have The Lion King on VHS, even though I don't own a VCR and I have the movie on DVD. It's one of the best movies EVER, and I got it for Christmas in 1993 from my grandma.

I had Aladdin on VHS until the tape itself mysteriously disappeared. My first date was with a dude named Malachi and we went to that movie.

Susan said...

I also recall seeing Aladdin on a date! Ha.

I did get The Little Mermaid and The Fox and the Hound DVD's today for an early birthday present. Awesome! And one more VHS to the garage sale pile. Sigh.

mayberry said...

I think it's hard to let go of anything we value as sentimental but especially things like those movies that kinda take us back to childhood or at least make us feel like kids. Most things in this world are so complicated and adult - it's hard to hold onto anything innocent anymore.

From the Doghouse said...

I've still got 'em too.

Supermom said...

The hardest thing I had to give up was our Veggie Tale collection on VHS. =(

First date hubby and I went to was to see Gremlins 2.

The Topiary Cow said...

Cow has replaced all her vids with DVDs but still missed them.

Why? Because DVDs are not as convenient.

If you are sitting down for an afternoon of Topiary trimming, you could pop in a video and have 2-6 hours uninterrupted.

With DVD's you have to choose from the menu, and if it's a series, you're returned to the menu every hour to make more choices. Videos would just play. Automatically.

Moo!

From the Doghouse said...

Gremlins 2 was on HBO this weekend, Supermom!

clstigger said...

Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Susan, Happy Birthday to you!!!!!

Hope you had a relaxing day off and are feeling better.

Webmaster said...

I agree with cow, but from a lazy parenting standpoint. So easy to just pop in "Cinderella" on VHS.
And supermom, those veggie tales tapes rocked. All of them, even the early ones. We were attached to all of them, too.
[sigh]