Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I Hate the IRS Day

It's tax day. We actually mailed ours last week, since I knew I'd forget if we waited until the last possible minute.

The total for all the checks we wrote was about $4,000 less than what we owe on our house (once we send in the rest of this month's payments). I understand the whole income tax concept very well. I know the reasoning, and the inevitability. We were prepared for it. But that really didn't help much when it came to signing those checks. It's just the timing. The idea that those checks could have been made out to Chase instead of the IRS or State Tax Commission, and then we'd be free. The idea that a week ago we had enough money in the bank to pay off the mortgage, and today we don't. And because of that, next weekend I'm having a garage sale.

Ok, I'm not sure which is worse - not being able to send that money to the mortgage, or having another garage sale because we still have a mortgage. Damn you, Internal Revenue Service. I blame garage sales on you! One evil leads to another.

8 comments:

clstigger said...

oh yeah...mailing taxes...should probably do that today. don't really have the money to send the state a check till friday. guess i will mail it and pray they don't get to my envelope until friday.

Susan said...

The state is slower than syrup, it'll take them a week to open the envelope and another week to process the return and another week to cash the check!

Cats' Mom said...

Yard sale!!?? Does that mean some of the stuff from my house will go also? Like golf clubs?

Susan said...

You have golf clubs? Nevermind. Of course you do. I'm sure they're Greg's! Sure. Send them on! I'll sell anything!

The Topiary Cow said...

Just remember to spend that $300 buck tax stimulus check. Hahahaha.

Cow has often dreamed of what a lifestyle she could have on even 6 months of checks without tax, social, medicare, etc. deductions. She'd be in a whole different category of life.

Moo!

Susan said...

We won't be seeing a stimulus check, we don't qualify. And if we did, I'd pay it towards the mortgage. That's one way to stick it to the government! Pay down debt instead of buying stuff I don't need!

Webmaster said...

When's your garage sale?

Susan said...

Next Saturday, the 26th. It'll be at Jen's house in Live Oak subdivision out past Whitfield. Boss #2 is joining in too, and she has good stuff. Like, "lives in a neighborhood so much nicer than mine that she isn't allowed to have garage sales" kind of good stuff. =)