Monday, April 14, 2008

The Perfect Storm

I couldn't explain all the bizarre craziness of the past week or so if I tried. I feel like I was hit by the perfect storm.

I'd just spent my weekend making a mad run to Arkansas and back, so for several weekends in a row there had been no downtime, no rest, no recharging. I started the week a bit tired already.

I had our first round of interviews on Friday, which is one of the most stressful things I do all year.

Add to that construction (more accurately, demolition) in the office that separates me from the hallway, creating a huge amount of noise and chaos. Then a faculty meeting, then a grant funding denial, then a sudden loss of a program affiliate that will leave us short $75,000 and, more importantly, a full year's rotation for one of our fellowships starting in July. Mix in three different candidate situations which would require an exception to our selection process (we only take 3-4 new fellows each year!) and a dozen urgent minor crisis on Thursday and Friday alone.

In short, I'm tired, I'm stressed, and I feel like I have no control over what's going to happen to my programs next week. It wasn't a good time. The silver lining? I held on by my fingernails, had a great interview day (at least for the candidates) and managed not to do or say anything terribly stupid in the meantime. Or burst into tears. Yes, I was exhausted. Yes I worked through lunch and came early/stayed late almost every day last week. But I feel like I handled everything the best I could, and was successful. That's not something I've been able to say very often. And yes, I prayed a lot! Perhaps that was the difference in weathering the storm this time.

5 comments:

Supermom said...

I hope things settle down for you soon!!

From the Doghouse said...

I second that!

Can you crawl under your desk and take a nap?

Webmaster said...

Glad to hear you're hanging on. After reading your earlier posts, I was starting to get worried.

Susan said...

By Friday afternoon I was a little worried myself! Much calmer now. One more round of interviews next week, but I went ahead and prepared for both last week so unless there are more crazy suprises to come, it should all be pretty smooth from here.

And while there is room under my desk for a nap, there isn't time! I'm just starting to get dig through all the routine work that hasn't gotten done in the past week and a half!

The Topiary Cow said...

Wow.

Cow suggests temporary quarters, out on the lawn? Perhaps you can get wi-fi there and just keep working away from the noise.

Moo!