Friday, April 18, 2008

Update on Baby A

I just talked to my mom and got the update. They did the cath and put in the stent without a problem, but it's a temporary fix. The criss-crossed blood vessel thing is that the one that is supposed to pump blood into the heart is pumping out and the one that is supposed to go out is pumping in. She'll be heading further north for surgery next week to reverse them. They won't take her until her mom is recovered enough to travel. They'll probably be going to a neonatal hospital somewhere in the Washington, DC area. The doctors are optimistic that she'll be fine, but any time you have to detach a blood vessel or two on an infant you pretty much have to be scared to death. As Brad put it, "This wasn't exactly what we'd planned..."

I'll have to be honest here, I'm baffled. I could understand if there's a part that didn't grow at all, or grew deformed. But to have them grow correctly, just swapped... The human body is so complex. And the idea that we have doctors who can do that, who can actually remove the blood vessels from the heart and reattach them, is beyond my comprehension. And I work for doctors who do work on hearts every day. Wow. God be with them, Baby A, the family, and the doctors.

Oh, I almost forgot, she was born last night, Thursday. My mom confirmed. There was a bit of confusion, what with the TWENTY SEVEN HOURS of labor and Brad's understandable lack of coherency when I was talking with him earlier.

2 comments:

mayberry said...

Such a scary, scary thing for any parent much less a brand new one. I'll continue to keep them in my prayers.

From the Doghouse said...

Wow.