Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Randomness - Birthdays, Fundraising, Economics, and Rain

I haven't been online much at home lately, so I kinda feel like I've gotten behind here! Time to do some catching up:

Happy one-day-late birthday to BFF Jen, even though I know it really wasn't much "happy." Sorry you're feeling so bad, chickadee! Hope you're back on your feet soon. Let me know if I do anything. Or if you just need to gripe, moan and groan, I'm here for you.

Remember from this post how I'm raising money for the American Heart Association* in honor of my dad, but I also pointed out that my family is a big supporter of American Cancer Society's Relay for Life? Well, this morning I had an email from my mom. Apparently she won a vacation package from one of her local Relay for Life raffles. It's to one of the resorts on the coast (hope it's not one of the flooded ones!) and includes $100 for gas and tickets to Center Stage Theater in Biloxi. (Take me! Take me!) I would like to point out that this is the same woman who won a very nice stereo with 5 disc CD changer in a Vicksburg-area Relay for Life raffle a few years ago (she gave me the stereo, she didn't need it). I told her she needs to start buying lottery tickets for me!

In somewhat related news, yesterday my dad told me that he's planning to close his business in a couple of weeks. He's had very few paying jobs since the first of August and doesn't want to keep using up his cash reserves just to pay the utility bills. This really upsets me. I'm not terribly worried about their financial situation, but it bothers because of how discouraged he sounded. Dad has never been one to give up on anything. He's owned his own business for over 20 years, this particular shop for about 15 of those. He's been successful as a business owner, even when picking up his established shop in Vicksburg and moving it across the state. But he doesn't see the economy improving and the places that usually send him business have been incredibly slow as well. I know they'll be ok, and he'll be able to do some things he's been wanting to do instead of sitting around at the shop staring at the walls, but it's hard for me to see him close under these circumstances. If he was still doing decent business and just decided he wanted to retire, I'd be fine with it. The idea that after all these years he doesn't think he can do enough business to stay open is a huge indication that the economy has really tanked.

And finally, I'm so sick of the rain I could scream. Really, it's starting to take a toll on my mental state. We'd just gotten a few days of sun back after the bizarre August monsoons, now another week of it, with more possibly on the way? I want to crawl under my bed and curl up in a fetal position.

*A note on the AHA fundraising, my total should actually be $350. The stupid thing is giving me trouble with the manual entry of some donations. Hmmm. Wonder if Greg budgeted those matching funds for October...

3 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

Sorry to hear about your dad - but your mom may be able to balance things out!

Sandi said...

That stinks about your dad. Best of luck to him ... and to you with your fundraising. I'm out of town for a few days but come see me next week and I'll give you some cash. :)

Susan said...

Dad should be ok. I think he's going to go "By Appointment Only" through the end of the year just to see how it goes. He has more than enough to do around their house and Grandma's house to keep him busy!

Sandi - I'll see if I can catch up with you next week. Thanks!