Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Public Service Announcement

Last week at our employee health fair I helped sign people up for Cardiac Risk Assessments. We were offering them to employees for a discounted price of $5 that day, rather then the usual $30. For our employee program, it's a two step process. First you go in for an EKG and to have blood drawn for the lipid panel, then you get an appointment to come in for the follow-up visit to get your test results and complete the risk assessment. The clinic gave us 24 appointment slots. We signed up 80 people.


Today Greg and I both went in to have blood tests and EKG's done. We're still on the overflow list for an appointment, but they'll call us when they have one. (One of the NP's doing the assessments is out with the flu, so it may be a few weeks!) I am very glad that we're offering the service, and that we had such a great response. I'll be honest, I didn't think a whole lot about heart health until we went through my Dad's near-miss with a heart attack. I've only had my cholesterol checked once, when we got our life insurance, and it was within normal range. Greg's was just a little high. I don't expect to find anything bad this time, either. But to me it's important to know, one way or the other, if it's changing. One big thing we can do to save money in the future is to stay healthy now.


So, I'm saying all of that just to say that if you don't know what your cholesterol level is, or you have never had an EKG done, or if you have a history of heart disease/stroke/heart attacks in the family, call your local cardiology office and see if they offer a low cost cardiac risk assessment. Best case scenario, you find out you're perfectly healthy and can high five yourself and celebrate with something deep fried. At least you'll know, and have a baseline to compare if you develop problems or go back in 5 years for another assessment. Worst case scenario, you find out you're not as heart-healthy as you need to be. It's easier to start making changes before you end up on a table having a heart cath and possibly looking at having a stent. Seriously, it's worth a couple of hours of inconvenience to stay ahead of the game. Preventative maintenance. I'm just saying.

3 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

I did this at Baptist a couple of weekends ago. Haven't heard the results yet.

Susan said...

Bonus points for Doghouse! How much did Baptist charge for it?

I had an "insider" tell me that there was minor something on my EKG, but they weren't sure what. Just that they didn't think it was anything to worry about. Gosh, thanks, it would be better to just not say anything and let the NP tell me that when she actually knows something! Ha!

From the Doghouse said...

$25. They hold it throughout the week and on one Saturday a year (which is when I went).

And I agree; don't tease me like that! The stress is probably worse!