Wednesday, February 6, 2008

You Don't See THAT Every Day

I meant to post Monday that while driving to work we saw a raccoon cross the road. It was garbage day but the truck had already run on our street, so I figured he was trying to find a buffet that was still open. Can't say I've ever seen a raccoon cross the road in broad daylight before. It was quite funny.

But the reason I'm mentioning that now is because something even more bizarre just happened. Earlier today I had to go back to the dentist to get a filling. Now, I absolutely adore my dentist. He's awesome and by far the most attentive medical professional I've ever seen. He's the only one who actually made progress on my chronic muscle pain two years ago - which had nothing to do with my teeth. He remembers random things I mention to him in passing, like places I've volunteered and my mom having cancer, and usually asks me about them when I go in for cleanings. Most importantly, he's the most skilled dentist I've ever been to. This filling was only the second one I've ever had, and it was completely painless.

I mention all of that just to say that Dr. Peter just called me, at 8:00 at night, to check on me and make sure I wasn't having any pain or problems with my new filling. Now THAT is even more rare than seeing a raccoon cross the road in broad daylight. Customer service. I wish I could beat that into some of my cardiology trainees' heads. Boswell Family Dentistry, Lakeland Drive, in the Baptist Clinic building. If you need a dentist, go there.

8 comments:

Supermom said...

Wow...that is great service!

Oddly, Monday morning, a truck in front of me hit a raccoon in broad daylight that was trying to cross the road.

The poor thing sat in the ditch twitching his leg... the guy got out of his truck and checked on him. =(

I hate a pet raccoon growing up named "Cookie" cause that raccoon loved cookies! That is until my mother left the gate of the pen open when she was hosing it.

Yes, I had a redneck childhood. =)

mayberry said...

We had a pet raccoon for a while when I was a kid too. I think his name was Rocky.

From the Doghouse said...

Perfect timing; I'm looking for a raccoon - I mean dentist.

Does he see kids too?

Susan said...

Supermom - can I assume "I hate a pet raccoon growing up named Cookie" was a typo? =)

The story about the raccoon getting hit by the truck made me sad, but I'm glad the guy got out and checked on him. I know this is shocking, but I have a huge soft spot for animals of all kinds.

I never had a pet raccoon. We just had barn owls and a chipmunk raised on a medicine dropper (that was named Peanut.) See, we all have redneck roots!

Susan said...

Doghouse - not having kids myself, I can't say for certain. But judging by the bulletin board covered in pictures of smiling children in the hallway, I'd guess yes. And he has twin 4 year old girls, so I'm pretty sure he knows a thing or two about little people.

Supermom said...

yes, your assumption is correct. I loved Cookie...not hated him. =)

We had a pet rattlesnake. (ok, pet is a strong word... a caged rattlesnake is more like it). A flying squirrel named Rocky. A bobcat named Bob (kids are so original). And three raccoons in addition to Cookie. Cookie was just the only one that went from caged wild animal to pet.

Add a gander of dogs over the years and we were quite the Old McDonald Farm.

Susan said...

I draw a line at snakes. Although my dad's best buddy when I was young had everything from dogs, cats, birds and ferrets to skunks. In the house. Yes, even the skunk.

Webmaster said...

We had critters, but not on purpose. That's what the cats were for. :)