Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Another Story

Some of the comments on the last post reminded me of another story that I thought I might as well share.

Several years ago I worked with a good friend who was married with a baby and seemed to be on a bit of a financial roller coaster for various reasons. She had started doing some part time sales for a skin care company that paid commission. It wasn't a lot, but it helped a little at a time.

Anyway, she had a appointment one night that she really wasn't wanting to do and didn't expect to be very profitable. She had considered sending somebody else. As it turned out, her baby had been sick and the doctor bill came in the day before. She didn't know how they were going to pay it, so she decided to keep the appointment in the hopes of earning a little to put towards the bill. The next morning she walked into the office and the first words out of her mouth were, "God is so amazing!" Turns out she'd had a great meeting the night before and earned EXACTLY the amount needed to pay the medical bill. To the dollar. Not a dollar more or less, but to the dollar.

What struck me was the fact that she didn't walk in and say, "You'll never believe what I did!" or even, "What a relief!" The very first thing was, "God is so amazing!" That conversation had an unusually profound effect on me for a lot of reasons; and I can't tell you how many times I've thought of that over the past couple of years when something crazy happens. Even something as simple as somebody asking to rake our yard, which kept us from having to make a purchase we really didn't want to make. It's a little thing, but we didn't really need a big thing at this time. It was just enough. There was a time when I would have just blown off the coincidence as good luck, but there have been too many of them, too many that were a lot bigger when we needed bigger, for me not to realize that God is amazing, even in the little things. I don't think it has anything to do with what we want to happen, I think it has to do with encouraging us along the path God wants us to take, so long as we're willing to go there.

I'm not sure I ever told Nic how much that little conversation meant to me. I think I'll email her and make sure she knows.

3 comments:

mayberry said...

It's been amazing how, since my divorce, God has always been there to provide. Not ONE TIME have I ever had a week go by where the money was running out when something didn't happen - a check in the mail, a dinner invitation, a gift card for gas - to provide for me and Mini-me. Even during my new marriage, God has always opened doors. And I think He sometimes does "just enough" so we realize that it IS Him and not luck or coincidence.

From the Doghouse said...

It's interesting, the more you recognize where this comes from the more often it happens.

Webmaster said...

There were so many times I wished God would provide more, but I later realized those were lessons of their own. :)