Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Orange Slice Cookies

Allison requested the cookie recipe, so here we go. It makes like 16 dozen, so you might want to make half a batch or make slightly larger cookies. I'm also thinking that I want to try to make them with some other types of candy. Seems like there would be many opportunities here.

Orange Slice Cookies

2 c. shortening
2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
3 eggs
3 c. AP flour
1 1/4 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
3 T water
3 c. oats
1 can coconut (3 1/2 oz)
20 candy orange slices, chopped
2 c. nuts, chopped

Cream shortening and add sugars. Add eggs one a a time. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and baking powder. Stir water, oats, candy, coconut, nuts and flour mixture into the shortening/sugar mixture. Chill for 1 hour. Drop by teaspoon on greased cookie sheet and bake at 325 for 12 minutes or until brown.

Note - the candy gets very sticky when you chop it and likes to clump, so I used my kitchen shears and sprinkled a small area of the cutting board with sugar and either rolled the candy pieces in it or sprinkled it on as I went to keep them from sticking together as bad. I also sprinkled them into the cookie mix carefully to make sure they were distributed.

7 comments:

Supermom said...

Ahh...you had me until the baking soda and baking powder....the only thing more intimidating is yeast.

Susan said...

Do a search at allrecipes.com. They have about 4 different versions, some of which have fewer ingredients and do not include the baking powder. I got this recipe from my MIL when she got me a bag of fresh pecans for my fudge making right before Christmas. It's one of Greg's favorite cookies.

mayberry said...

So what do they taste like?

From the Doghouse said...

Orange slices.

(Someone had to say it!)

Susan said...

They're basically like oatmeal coookies with candy bits.

mayberry said...

*eyes rolling in disgust at the smartass that is Doghouse*

From the Doghouse said...

Glad to oblige, Mayberry!