Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Clues

By a very bizarre set of circumstances I was able to have lunch with my BFF Sharonda at the hospital today. During the conversation she suddenly got all excited and told me that her husband had informed her last night that he had to go to a one day meeting out of town on April 21. She immediately said, "It's somewhere good isn't it? Of course it is. That's Susan's birthday. It's somewhere great."

Of course he didn't understand the significance of that, so she had to explain that over the past few years she has made a tradition out of going on really cool trips for work on my birthday. Notice I didn't say she and I. No, for several years she's missed my birthday because of work trips. This year she had no work trip, so of course something had to come up so she would be somewhere cool on my birthday.

My clue that this one was going to be rough was the fact that she said, "Do you wanna know where???" followed by, "You're not going to get mad, are you?" at least three times during the conversation.

So in honor of my birthday, Sharonda will be spending the day enjoying the nice warm beaches of... Hawaii.

Yes. I said Hawaii. She's not my friend anymore.

A few minutes later, after the conversation had moved on, totally out of nowhere, she looks at me very seriously and says, "So, when exactly are you planning to have babies?"

Sigh.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

"Wait, what's that... I'm... having one... RIGHT NOW!!! Somebody get me a blanket!"

Susan said...

That would have been funny, except she was at the hospital with a young woman who had been in labor with twins for 38 hours straight, with no pain meds, six weeks early! I'm not sure she was encouraging me so much as just planning how long she has to recover before going through that with somebody else. That or she was going to go ahead and plan another trip so she could miss it!

Supermom said...

I wanna go to Hawaii. =(

From the Doghouse said...

Did you tell her you'd have a baby after YOU got to go to Hawaii?

Webmaster said...

What are friends for. :)