Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Rationalization

Back in November Greg found out that he would most likely be going to Washington, DC on a work trip sometime early this year. I was stoked. DC is one of the cities on the list of places we want to visit for fun. I love DC. Visited quite a few times when Sharonda lived there and always had a blast. I haven't been back since she moved, probably 5 or 6 years, and was pumped about the chance to go with Greg on the trip.

Not sure what I was thinking there.

Turns out the trip is in February. After a short discussion last night we decided that I wouldn't be going with Greg to DC. In a rational world, I would never have thought about going in the first place.

First, it's in February. I have it on good authority that it gets rather cold in DC in February. I don't like cold, and would likely be miserable. Frankly, I'd have gotten over that if circumstances had been different, but in light of the fact I can't go anyway, I'm using this as an emotional crutch.

Second, I really don't have enough vacation time to go. I would have to take off at least 2, probably 3 days. As of today I have 3.3 days of personal leave time available. Probably not my best plan to wipe that out, considering that if I get sick I have to take 8 hours of personal time before I can take any sick time.

Finally, and this is the primary problem, I just can't justify the expense. For Greg to go is free, it's a work trip. For me to go requires buying a plane ticket, plus we'd probably go up early to have a weekend to explore which would require 2 or 3 more nights at the hotel, which we would have to pay for, not to mention food and entertainment. We do tend to plan our travel around where we want to eat.

We are about 6-7 months away from having our house paid off, which is a means to an end. We have a ton of plans that all start with, "Once the mortgage is paid off..." I can't tell you how many people say things like, "If you wait for that you'll never do anything." Wrong. It's less than a year away, if we stay on track! We've worked too darn hard to be getting derailed now. There are too many bigger plans just waiting on that last payment. Heck, I'm the woman who is putting off buying new shower curtain rings because I want this so bad! There's just no way we can drop $1,000 bucks or so on a random trip to DC.

Besides, there's talk of a follow-up session in either Atlanta or Charlotte. Charlotte is only about an hour from Lauren and Ed and the boys. If I can save up some time off...

8 comments:

mayberry said...

Hang in there girl! You can do this. Those little (big right now, but little in the long run) disappointments won't matter in the long run when you're out of debt! I have faith in you!

From the Doghouse said...

You'll enjoy the trip a LOT more after the house is paid off!

Supermom said...

DC in Feb... nah.

good call.

Webmaster said...

In 6-7 months, you'll have to post a blog that says:
"WE'RE DEBT FREE!!"

Susan said...

I think this one has been the biggest temptation in the 2 years we've been scrimping. We'll go eventually, but it's like 4th in line on the list of trips we want to take, and it'd be cheaper now since Greg's going for free! Granted, cheaper isn't the same as cheap. If I had more time off it'd be a harder decision. Thank goodness I only have 3 days.

And Supermom - I went in March (may have been Feb...) one year to help with a huge walk-a-thon. Geezum petes it was cold! I had been hoping this trip would be later in the Spring. Probably a good thing it wasn't.

Susan said...

And now he's going to Seattle in April, another city on my list! Sniffle. I just know I'm being tempted by evil forces. Last year he was going to places like Kansas and Tennessee, which I was totally indifferent about!

I can do it. If Allison can stay stay on her diet, I can stay on mine! (The money diet, that is.)

The Topiary Cow said...

Oooh, it's hard to resist temptation to travel, but 6 months till the house is paid off, wow! That will be marvelous.

Hang in there, those cities will still be welcoming you after the mortgage is paid.

Moo!

Webmaster said...

Resist, sister. Resist.