Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Pine Straw

Greg was about halfway through raking the yard this past weekend when the rake broke. We were going to have to buy a new rake. Unfortunately, we hadn't budgeted for a new rake. Now I know it won't cost much and we could rearrange some things to pay for it, but we've put it off because... well, because we weren't in a big hurry to get back out and rake the yard.

This afternoon we had a knock on the door. It was a guy that works for the nature center down the road. He wanted to know if we'd mind if he finished raking our yard and took the pine straw. Seriously. They need it for mulch for the flowers. He's coming back tomorrow to get it. Said he'd come back in a few weeks and rake again, if we didn't mind. Do we mind not having to buy a new rake this week? Do we mind not having to rake the yard? Hmm. Let me think about it and get back to you.

When I walked back into the house after talking to him at the door, Greg was doing the happy dance. You'd think we'd be used to the little things working themselves out like that, but it's still always a surprise.

6 comments:

Supermom said...

I wish someone would show up on my doorstop and ask to wash my car.

From the Doghouse said...

And clean my house.

It is cool to see God work things out though! Never gets old.

Susan said...

If somebody would show up and clean my house I might just give them my car.

I've been amazed at the crazy things that have worked out since we started paying off our our debt. We had one wedding shower where we expected to get about $200 in cash which we planned to put towards a $600 balance on a Sears card. We got like $650 in cash. Last January I got a nice bonus from my old job. At the time I was debating whether or not to change jobs because I would no longer get an annual bonus and would probably never see another raise working for the state. That same week I was offered a freelance gig that paid about $8 less than my bonus. I saw it as a hint that God will continue to provide. I changed jobs. I've since gotten 2 raises... I'm constantly amazed at the help we've gotten!

mayberry said...

How awesome! I love stories like this - how God even works out the little things.

Webmaster said...

Where are these mysterious yard-raking roaming nature lovers? Are there any in the Byram area? Hmm..

Susan said...

I dunno, but he not only did a great job raking the yard, he also cleaned up and removed the huge dead limb that fell in the yard. Sweet. Thinking we should just put a sign up in the yard - "Free pine straw, bring your own rake."