Monday, January 7, 2008

Marathons

During a conversation with Sharonda on Saturday she bought up the idea that she and her new hubby may participate in the Marathon Makeover this year. The goal of the program is to take people who aren't exactly known for their high activity level and train them to run (or walk) the Chicago Marathon. I strongly encouraged her to do it. Not only would it be a great fitness motivation, but she has an opportunity to expand her consulting business if she completes the program.

Then there was the suggestion that we should join them. Ummmmm...

Ok, so I'm a big wimp. There are all the usual excuses - the big one being my knees would never make it. Running would be out of the question, but I'm not even sure they'd hold up to that much walking. Then there are the more realistic reasons. First, money. It's not a cheap program, and I'm cheap. Second, a marathon is TWENTY SIX MILES. I could probably physically do it if I trained and had some serious motivation, but there's a bigger issue. Do you know how long it takes to walk 26 miles? Something like 6-7 hours. I don't think it's a secret that staying focused isn't my strength. I'd be bored out of my mind after the first 90 minutes, and would end up sitting on the side of the road chatting with bystanders. And of course, they'd end up either being from or having relatives in Neshoba County, Mississippi.

I admit to being an excuse-mongering wimp. But I do hope Sharonda is able to do it. She'd be a lot more likely to make it than I would. It has nothing to do with physical ability, it's all about motivation and determination. I'm sure I would have motivation, I'd just forget what it was after the first hour or so.

7 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

I've thought about doing that too ... but then I remember who we're talking about.

Stacey said...

I bet if there's a hot blonde waitress running in front of doghouse, he'd be in the marathon.

And that's something I'd never do. I mean, kudos to those who want to, but heeeeeeck no.

mayberry said...

I have a friend who dreams of being in marathons. I admit, I don't understand the desire at all. I hate DRIVING 26 miles much less trying to walk or run it!

Webmaster said...

I agree with Stacey. It sounds so good in theory, but I can only exercise in short spurts.

BENJI said...

I'm laughing...not at the fact of YOU running/jogging/walking a marathon, but of your hubby !!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

From the Doghouse said...

Waitress? Where? Get Ace ready while I grab my shoes, we'll chase her down!

Susan said...

Benji - Safe bet neither of us will be doing a marathon any time soon. Unless it's a DDR marathon. Or a Mario Galaxy marathon.